Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Journeys 11-12-06

Journeys 11-12-06

“I’m Kelly Karges and I approve this message.”

No matter who it was these past few weeks, if I heard those words I’d change the channel. If the next station was more of the same, I’d just mute it and walk away. I got so overwhelmed with the constant barrage of political ads that I stopped listening. Why is it easier to get elected if you can make people mad at your opponent? Do people really vote more against someone than for them?

I’ve got to admit, when I heard how much money had gone into our Nebraska Senate campaign I thought of how many poor people could be helped with those millions.

Our oldest, (Katie), turned 18 in October. So this was her first experience of voting. She read everything she could get her hands on and filled us in on what the latest internet buzz was. When she voted, she was amazed at how “basic” it was. After all the hype and rhetoric, when you stand there and look at the ballot in black in white, it’s really pretty simple; yes or no, him or her. Try and color within the circle. In local elections one vote can be the determining factor.

My parents are of different political parties. Over time, I’ve forgotten which is which. So now, I’m afraid to ask. The rule in my home of origin was that you didn’t have to tell anyone how you voted. It was a private matter.

Cindy and I are of the same political persuasion. So dinnertime can be about who we’re going to vote for and what that constitutional amendment is really about.

To be honest, I’m just glad the whole thing is over. Decisions and choices are hard enough on a personal level, let alone on a city, state or national basis. And although our system is far from perfect, I do thank God for the right to vote in a free democratic society. Many have worked and sacrificed to give me that right. Now, may God give us the strength and patience to fix the inequities in our present political process so that the poorest and the wealthiest eventually can have an equal say in who is in power.

Grace & Peace,

No comments: