Saturday, January 20, 2007

Journeys 1-14-07

What good is a forecast? In Nebraska you learn to keep an eye on those five day forecasts of the weather for your area, ‘cause they’re always changing. As of this writing, its 40 degrees outside, but the forecast calls for a drastic change in the weather tonight and through the weekend. You can feel it when you go outside; the moisture, the gray clouds, the wind.

Forecasts have been known to be wrong. In fact, my experience has been that the snow storms that are most predicted tend not to happen. It’s the ones nobody saw coming that you have to watch out for. Only a Nebraskan would say that.

Precipitation and high temperatures in the teens are not something I look forward to. Add any wind and you’re talking real misery.

This year I have an additional fear of falling. After my car wreck in May, the picture of my x-rays on my Palm Pilot remind me how much I don’t want to slip and smack those 13 titanium screws in my hip and pelvis down onto the ice. I used to call the heels-first shuffle you have to do on ice “penguin walking.” Now, penguin walking is not enough. Every step is deliberate, strategic. That fragile feeling I had back when I was on crutches comes back. I don’t like that feeling.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a couple ladies after church this summer. I was whining about the pain in my joints and muscles and one friend looked up at me and said, “Well, now, you know what it’s like to be 76.”

I thank God for forecasts; they help me to know how many layers of clothes I’ll need. I also ask you to pray for all those who get trapped inside when the snow and ice comes. Please, God, make that fragile feeling melt away soon.


Grace & Peace,

No comments: