Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Journeys 10-22-06

Journeys 10-22-06

We’re beginning to ease into winter. There are places in western Nebraska that have already had snow. The other day, our high for the day was 40 degrees. We started the day with fog and cold. Then the winds dragged down the leaves that were too saturated and too brittle to hang on. Now there are naked trees next to the full ones that refuse to give in to the change in seasons. The wind won’t let them argue long. It’s a losing battle.

In my mind, I’m getting ready for snow. I’ve got to move my snow shovels from the shed out back to the garage. I’ve got to get my gas containers filled and mixed for the snow blower. I’ve got to teach Zack how to run the snow blower. Is that bag if de-icer any good, or do I have to get a new one?

October snow storms are sloppy, premature winter. But they equalize the turning of the trees. All leaf color ‘morfs to brownish-grey. And the trees seem to scream, “Just get it over with,” as the massive stripping of the leaves begins.

My kids can’t wait for snow. They thrive on change. I just try and survive it.

Change isolates my soul; tricks my mind in to thinking I’m the only one forced to deal with this. But my experience is that God is with me through the change. God lets me know in subtle ways that I am not alone in this. Friends step forward who have gone through the same thing. People say they’re keeping me in their prayers. Survival becomes a group project.

So, yea! Let winter happen. With God’s help, we’ll be o.k.

Grace & Peace,

No comments: