Thursday, February 01, 2007

Journeys 2-4-07

There is this gap in the calendar between New Years Day and Valentines’ Day. And we fill that gap in our frigid existence with Super Bowl Sunday. It’s a reason to get together. It’s a reason to buy sub sandwiches from our church youth groups.

Even if you don’t follow pro football, you have to acknowledge the reality of a bunch of highly paid athletes with generally short careers. I will admit to getting caught up in the commercials that bid millions to expose a world wide audience to their product. Every year there’s at least one shocker that grabs your attention. The game itself should be a good one; the best offense verses the best defense.

I must confess to using the NFL as a sleep aid for my Sunday afternoon naps. My kids know that they can change the channel when the snoring starts up from the sofa. It’s a vicious cycle. They turn up the sound to hear their show, wake me up, turn it back to the NFL for a couple first downs then start the whole thing over again.

Most of my sports attention gets taken up by college athletics; Nebraska Football, Duke Basketball, and, keeping up with the kids I’ve had in confirmation competing in Beatrice High School sports.

This year I invite you to use the Super Bowl as an excuse for old fashioned fellowship. The dead of winter is a good time to invite family, friends and neighbors over to watch the game together. Let no one watch half-time alone. Next week, we’ll talk about who had the best commercials.

Grace & Peace,

No comments: