Sunday, February 25, 2007

Journeys 2-11-07

This Wednesday is Valentine’s Day; a holiday for love. My experience is that love happens in steps; gradually, over time. There is this base of trust and respect that gets built up with experience. But the feelings of love wax and wane. Blood-sugar levels, hormone surges, (or lack of hormone surges), tiredness, rested-ness, children and grandchildren all effect the feelings of love between two people. One day for love!?! How do you show someone your affection without going too far, or coming up short?

In my early teenage years, Valentine’s Day was an excuse to get up the gumption to do something about that girl I’d been watching closely for three years. In adulthood, it became more difficult. If I was dating someone, the challenge of Valentine’s Day was to do enough, but not too much. If I was unattached the hard part was to let someone know I might be interested without scaring them off. Since my marriage, the difficult task has been to surprise without leaving a paper trail. Cindy keeps the checkbook in our house. And with all transactions traceable on-line or in the check-book, it’s hard to sneak up on her on Valentine’s Day.

May God help us express our love this Valentine’s Day. I do believe that when ever love happens God is a part of it. And my standard funeral sermon is that love is eternal. The gift of love goes on way after we leave this earth.
Grace & Peace,

No comments: