Thursday, October 18, 2012

Journeys 10-21-12 "The Wind"




As of this writing, we are in our second day of 30-50 mile-an-hour winds.  I don’t know anybody who likes to be outside when the wind is like this!  

The wind adds an urgency to my life.  I feel more rushed when I’m in the wind, cause I just want to get out of it as fast as I can.  Driving up to the office on Highway 281 today the wind was from the west.  And when I drove past a farmstead on the left I almost went in the ditch cause I didn’t realize how much I was over-compensating just to keep going straight!

Then when I turned right to go into Doniphan it was as if somebody pulled the plug on wind fan.  Having the wind at your back is like taking a dip in the pool on a 100 degree day.  It was so refreshing. On the other hand, walking into the wind is a leaning, head down, continuous effort to breath/see where you’re going, and not get blown over kind of thing.

Then there is the dust in the air and the pink hew to the clouds from the sun trying to break through the haze.  Folks with breathing problems don’t even try to go outside with these winds.

The Hebrew word for wind is “ruach.” It also gets translated as "spirit" or "breath."  So Ruach Elohim is translated “Spirit of God.” In Genesis 1:2 it says, “ . . . the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while the spirit (or wind) of God was over the waters  . . . .”  Ruach was what God gave to Adam to bring the clay man to life.  When applied to God, the word Ruach indicates creative activity (Gen 1:2) and active power (Isa 40:13).  In (Job 33:4) it says, “The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.” 

This week we got to experience the full awesome power of ruach on the high plains.  After being in 60 mile-an-hour gusts, it is easy to see how our ancient ancestors in the faith labeled this all consuming force, "The Breath of God.”

Grace & Peace,

No comments: