Thursday, September 13, 2012

Journeys 9-16-12 "Remembering the rain."





I found myself just standing in the rain on Wednesday afternoon, ‘cause it felt so good.  It had been so long since I’d felt good hard driving rain that it took my brain a little while to process the signals my skin was sending. Not only was it wet.  It was cold too!

After what seemed like an entire summer without rain.  I’d forgotten what it felt like.  The other day, I pointed to the sky and joked with my farmer friend Mark, “Look, . . .  those are clouds.  Remember clouds?  Water doesn’t just come from the ground, it can come from the sky too!”  He was not amused.

It is easy to forget the good things of life sometimes.  Rain doesn’t show up for 30 days and I’ve already forgotten what it looks like.  Your teenager pouts around for a week and you forget how when they are happy, their laughter takes over their whole body.  Your family member goes into the hospital and is pale and all hooked up to IVs and you can’t remember the last time you saw them standing up and smiling.

The bad of life has a habit of wiping out the memories of the good.  But I believe that the good memories are not gone.  They’re still there.  They’ve just been hidden by the dark clutter that causes fear; drought, illness, tragedy, car wrecks, cancer, fire, floods, strokes, tornados etc.

In the past, when I’ve been surrounded by darkness and fear, I’ve found myself asking God to help me remember just one blessing in my life.  And that one good memory can sometimes help me realize that I am not totally surrounded by darkness.  That one small glimmer of light can start a turnaround in my thinking that brings me back to a whole memory bank of blessings I thought I’d lost.

Remembering the rain is only the beginning.

Grace & Peace,

Rev. Kelly

No comments: