Friday, August 11, 2006

Journeys 8-13-06

Journeys 8-13-06

As a kid, I loved shopping for school supplies. It may explain why my favorite stores are now Office Max and Office Depot. Of course my 17 year old confirms my history when she looks at the matching hip holsters for my Palm Pilot and cell phone and says, “Daddy, you are such a nerd!” And I say, “Yea, I know, always have been. Wait ‘til you see the new belt clip I got for my IPod!”

I got my first brief case when I was 12. In Jr. High, I was biking to school with an old green army back-pack before backpacks were “in.” Of course, my bike had the matching wire baskets on back. I didn’t want to get home and need a book I didn’t have. It has always been important to have what I need on my person at all times.

Now, my kids get their list from the school. We check off the items one by one. Items not on the list have to be negotiated. Its better that Cindy does the school shopping. I’m more inclined to say, “You sure that back-pack’s big enough? How about this one?” Emily will say, “But Daddy, that doesn’t match.” And I say, “What do you mean? Match what?”

On Sunday, Sept. 10th (the Sunday after Labor Day) we will have the annual “Blessing of the Backpacks.” You are invited to bring your backpacks and briefcases up to the altar as we bless them for this coming school year. In doing so, we’ll recognize that God is a part of all our lives. In asking God’s blessings on the tools of our lives, we invite God into our work, our productivity.

If anybody needs me to go along to Walmart or Office Max to school shop, just let me know.

Grace & Peace,

No comments: